Vocational Training in Cyprus

Vocational Training in Cyprus

Cyprus has a university and several colleges where you can take all or part of your higher education. At college and higher level, the language of instruction is usually English. In the schools, the language of instruction is Greek in the southern part of Cyprus and Turkish in the Turkish Cypriot part.

As one of countries starting with letter C listed on Countryaah, Cyprus was part of the Ottoman Empire from the 16th century until the end of the 19th century, when the island was handed over to Britain by agreement with the Turks. Cyprus became a British crown colony in 1825.

Worth knowing

Vocational training in Cyprus

After primary school, you can either go to the 3-year-old Lykeio, which corresponds to the general high school, or to the 3-year-old Techniki Scholi, where vocational education is offered. From both types of institution, the student receives the certificate Apolytirion (School Leaving Certificate of Secondary (Technical Vocational) Education). Both certificates provide access to further education at higher education institutions in Greece or Cyprus.

At Techniki Scholi, you can choose two lines: a technical line where the emphasis is on the theoretical, and a vocational line with a greater emphasis on practical work. On both lines, after the first year, you must choose one of 13 subject areas, such as machinery and engineering, architecture, agriculture or administration.


You can start learning when you are 15 years old, and you must not be older than 18 years old when you finish. It lasts 2 years. 3 days a week you are at a workplace, and 2 days a week you follow teaching at a technical school. The education does not provide access to higher education, but one can continue in a number of professions.

Access to vocational education at the higher level is possible for those who have an Apolytirio from Lykeio or Techniki Scholi. The educations last between 2 and 3 years and combine professional studies and practical training.


If you are considering taking all or part of your own internship in Cyprus or elsewhere abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary School, Vocational Education and Youth Education.

Economics and education

The cost of living depends on where in Cyprus you live. In the capital Nicosia, you should expect approx. DKK 5,000 per month for rent, food, transport, etc., while it is significantly cheaper elsewhere in Cyprus, mainly due to a lower rent.

The University of Cyprus provides on their website a brief guide to the cost of living in the capital Nicosia. Check topschoolsintheusa for opportunities to study in Cyprus.

Tuition fees must be paid at both the public and private educational institutions. The individual institutions set their own fees.

Information on tuition fees at the private institutions can be obtained by contacting the individual institution.

Work in Cyprus

The total unemployment rate in Cyprus in February 2014 was 16.7% (Eurostat). Unemployment is typically higher in the Turkish Cypriot part of the country.

Job search

As an EU citizen, you are free to work in Cyprus. As there is a shortage of labor in certain occupations in Cyprus, it is relatively easy for foreigners to get work. You will find the easiest job in the hotel and restaurant industry, the nursing and nursing area, the education sector (primarily in higher education), the IT industry and certain sectors in the industry.

You do not need to be able to speak either Greek or Turkish, as English is very common. You can get information about work in Cyprus from the EURES Advisers at the country’s Job Centers.

You can receive unemployment benefits for 3 months while you apply for a job in Cyprus. See the article Job search abroad under the folder Paid work.

Job hunting at European level

You can try searching the following job database: www.careerjet.com.cy.

Work-and residence permit

As a Dane, you are free to stay in Cyprus for up to 3 months. If the stay extends beyond 3 months, you must apply for a residence permit. See also the article Visas, work and residence permits. You can also find information on, for example, visa rules at the Cyprus Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If you are a student, you must have a residence permit regardless of the length of your study stay, and you must not take work of any kind. When you are admitted to an educational institution in Cyprus, the institution will make sure to apply for the residence permit.

For study stays

Upon arrival in Cyprus, it is important to bring the admission letter from the educational institution, a return flight ticket and a bank statement or a letter from the Agency for Institutions and Educational Support confirming that you receive SU and thus showing that you can pay for your studies and living costs in Cyprus.

You must also either bring a medical certificate from Denmark or have a medical certificate made in Cyprus.

If you want to work in Cyprus, you must have a work permit. It is your employer in Cyprus who must apply for the permit.

At the Embassy of Cyprus you can get accurate information on the applicable rules for work and residence permits.

Study in Cyprus

Comments are closed.