Vocational Training in Australia

Vocational Training in Australia

Australia has in recent years become a popular country to study in, and the country receives i.e. many students from Scandinavia. The Friendship Association between Denmark and Australia / New Zealand, mediates contact with the Australian educational institutions. You can also come to the so-called Working Holiday in Australia in connection with a holiday, study or internship.

As one of the countries starting with letter A listed on Countryaah, Australia is located in the southern hemisphere, 15,000 km from Europe. The country consists of 6 states and 2 territories. Geographically, Australia is almost as large as the United States, but very sparsely populated with many uninhabited areas. The most densely populated areas are located along the coasts.

There has been a large influx of immigrants from Europe since the middle of the last century, and Australia is characterized as a young country with a small indigenous population, approx. 2% Aborigines who manage to stick to their own culture, i.a. through music and visual arts.

Since the 1980s, efforts have been made to curb the immigration of the uneducated and to promote the immigration of the highly educated through restrictive immigration laws.

Worth knowing

Vocational training in Australia

The vocational education system in Australia is called Vocational Education and Training (VET). You get access to VET after 9 or 10 years of previous schooling. Internships in a company are linked to most courses.

A VET vocational education at the youth level is completed with The Australia Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate I, II, III and IV. AQF qualifications are recognized in all Australian states. VET educational institutions offer programs within e.g. science and technology, design and art, communication and health.

For some individual programs that end with a Certificate IV, the admission basis is 12 years of prior schooling. Certificate IV provides access to the Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Associate Degree, which are short higher education programs that can give credit to a relevant bachelor’s degree in Australia.

The academic year begins in late January and ends in mid-December. The academic year is divided into two semesters and in some cases three periods (trimesters).

You can find information on vocational education in Australia on the Australian Government’s education portal as well as on the Vocational Training and Education in Australia website through topschoolsintheusa.


If you are thinking of taking all or part of your own internship abroad, read the section on internships abroad for vocational education under the section Primary school and upper secondary education.

Economics and education

Tuition fees are paid for higher education in Australia. The fee varies a lot, depending on the subject and educational institution. The most resource-intensive subjects are the most expensive. The price can vary from 40,000 to 130,000 Danish kroner for 2 semesters of study. In general, prices are lower than in other English-speaking countries. If the study stay is part of an exchange agreement, you do not have to pay tuition fees.


The Australian State and the individual universities in Australia offer scholarships for postgraduate research. You can get more information at the individual universities about what scholarships they offer. The Australian Trade Commission has addresses at all universities.

Work in Australia

As Australia seeks to curb immigration, it can be difficult to find work and obtain a work permit. However, students can apply for a work permit for work for 20 hours a week, and since July 2001 it has been possible to obtain a visa for a so-called Working Holiday in Australia.

Job search

You can get information about working in Australia from the EURES Advisers at the Job Centers.

You can also try orienting yourself on Australian Jobsearch, which is an official government initiative, on MyCareer, Careerone, ApplyDirect, Careerjet or J obted.

Work-and residence permit

You can apply for a Working Holiday visa, which allows you to work in the country for up to one year, but not more than 3 months for the same employer. The primary purpose of the stay should be vacation and you should be between 18 and 30 years old. From November 2005, the scheme has been expanded so that you can now obtain two Working Holiday visas. Read more at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Also read about some of your options for working with a Working Holiday visa at Australian Working Adventures, or at WWOOF.

To study in Australia, you must have a student visa. The student visa can be applied for at the visa office at MyPlanet or directly at the Australian immigration authorities in Berlin.

To obtain a student visa, you must be a full-time student and you must be admitted to a recognized education. If you have been admitted to an Australian university and have paid tuition fees, you will receive an electronic confirmation of enrollment from the Australian University, which you must use when applying for a student visa. In addition, you must show documentation that you can manage financially, e.g. in the form of a letter from the SU board or an account statement.

Students seeking a work permit should contact the nearest DIMIA (Department of Immigration & Multicultural Indigenous Affairs) office located in all major Australian cities. It costs 50 AU $ (approx. 220 kr.) To apply for a work permit.

Study in Australia

Comments are closed.