According to best-medical-schools, Niceville is a small town located in Northwest Florida on the shores of Choctawhatchee Bay. The city is nestled between Destin and Fort Walton Beach, and is located just a few miles from Eglin Air Force Base. The geography of Niceville consists of rolling hills, pine forests, and wetlands. The climate in Niceville is mostly mild with occasional summer storms.
The history of Niceville dates back to the 1800s when it was first settled by the Choctaw Indians who were drawn to the area for its abundant resources. During World War II, Eglin Air Force Base was established nearby, bringing many military personnel and their families to the area. In recent years, Niceville has become a popular tourist destination due to its proximity to beaches, parks, lakes and other attractions.
Politically, Niceville is part of Okaloosa County and has been represented in Congress by Republican Matt Gaetz since 2017. The economy of Niceville relies heavily on tourism as well as military spending from Eglin Air Force Base.
Niceville has several schools including Ruckel Middle School, Edge Elementary School, Lewis Elementary School and Bluewater Elementary School which are all part of the Okaloosa County School District. There are also several private schools in the city such as Heritage Academy and Rocky Bayou Christian School.
Some notable landmarks in Niceville include Twin Hills Park which offers picnic areas and trails for hiking; Bluewater Bay Marina which offers boat rentals; Air Force Armament Museum which showcases artifacts from Eglin Air Force Base; Rocky Bayou State Park which features trails for hiking; Henderson Beach State Park which features white sand beaches; Emerald Coast Science Center which offers interactive exhibits; and Heritage Park & Gardens which includes gardens with native plants.
Population: 11,684. Estimated population in July 2020: 12,582 (+7.7% change)
Males: 5,763 (49.3%), Females: 5,921 (50.7%)
Zip codes: 32578.
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $45,685
Median house value: $104,400
Races in Niceville:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.1%)
- Black (4.6%)
- Hispanic (3.7%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Filipino (1.3%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- Korean (0.6%)
- Other Asian (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (14.5%), Irish (13.0%), United States (13.0%), English (11.5%), French (3.6%), Italian (3.4%).
Elevation: 51 feet
Land area: 10.9 square miles
Niceville, Florida is a small city located in the north-western part of the Sunshine State. It has an estimated population of around 14,000 people and covers a total area of 8.7 square miles. The city was founded in 1954 and is home to several military bases and installations, including Eglin Air Force Base and Duke Field.
The majority of Niceville’s population is made up of families with children, retirees, military personnel, and young professionals. The median age in Niceville is 40 years old while the median household income is $56,000 per year. Education is highly valued by locals with 95% of adults having at least a high school diploma and 37% holding a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Niceville boasts an impressive selection of recreational activities for its citizens to enjoy such as parks, golf courses, tennis courts and swimming pools. There are also several shopping centers and restaurants that provide the necessary amenities for locals to enjoy their day-to-day lives without having to leave town. Additionally, Niceville has its own public library system that serves both children and adults alike with over 80,000 books available for checkout.
For those looking for a quiet place to call home with plenty of opportunities for recreation or education nearby then Niceville may be just the place! With its quaint small-town charm combined with modern amenities it’s no wonder so many families have chosen to make their home here in this lovely Florida town!
For population 25 years and over in Niceville
- High school or higher: 88.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 25.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.0%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Niceville city
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 60.9%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 10.1%
6.4% Foreign born (2.9% Asia, 1.8% Europe, 1.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +525 (+4.7%).
Hospital/medical center in Niceville:
- TWIN CITIES HOSPITAL (2190 HIGHWAY 85 NORTH)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Niceville:
- FORT WALTON BEACH MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL)
- GULF COAST TREATMENT CENTER (about 13 miles; FORT WALTON BEACH, FL)
- NORTH OKALOOSA MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; CRESTVIEW, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Niceville:
- HURLBURT FIELD (about 17 miles; MARY ESTHER, FL; Abbreviation: HRT)
- PENSACOLA REGIONAL (about 50 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Abbreviation: PNS)
- PANAMA CITY-BAY CO INTL (about 60 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Abbreviation: PFN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Niceville:
- DESTIN-FORT WALTON BEACH (about 8 miles; DESTIN, FL; Abbreviation: DTS)
- EGLIN AF AUX NR 3 DUKE (about 10 miles; VALPARAISO, FL; Abbreviation: EGI)
- BOB SIKES (about 18 miles; CRESTVIEW, FL; Abbreviation: CEW)
Amtrak station near Niceville:
- 18 miles: CRESTVIEW (101 N. MAIN ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Niceville:
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 3,374; Location: 100 COLLEGE BLVD; Public; Website: www.owcc.cc.fl.us)
- BEAUTY CAREERS TRAINING CENTER (Location: 864 JOHN SIMS PKY; Private, for-profit)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Niceville:
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 50 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,036)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 52 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,282)
- GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,140)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 90 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,703)
- JAMES H FAULKNER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; BAY MINETTE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,050)
- TROY STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 96 miles; TROY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,143)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA-BALDWIN (about 98 miles; FAIRHOPE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 5,582)
Public high schools in Niceville:
- NICEVILLE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 2,292; Location: 800 E JOHN SIMS PARKWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- OWCC COLLEGIATE CHARTER H.S. (Students: 240; Location: 100 COLLEGE BOULEVARD; Grades: 10 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Niceville:
- C. W. RUCKEL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 898; Location: 201 NORTH PARTIN DRIVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- JAMES E. PLEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 687; Location: 220 PINE AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
- BLUEWATER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 681; Location: 4545 RANGE ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- LULA J. EDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 497; Location: 300 N HIGHWAY 85; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Niceville:
- AGAPE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 89; Location: 801 JOHN SIMS PARKWAY; Grades: PK – 5)