Moscow State University . It is the largest and oldest university in the current Russian Federation, founded on January 25, 1755. In 1940 the university was renamed, this time after its founder, the scientist Mikhail Lomonosov. It is located in Moscow.
Moscow University was created on 25 January of of 1755 by Russian scientist Mikhail Lomonosov, by a decree of Empress Elisabeta Petrovna, since on this date marks the day of and day students from the University of Moscow.
In its beginnings, the university occupied the pharmacy building on Red Square. Under Lomonosov’s project, they established three faculties: law, philosophy, and medicine.
The university stood out for its democratic character, students of any social class could attend, except the peasants. In the beginning, the studies were free, a condition that was only maintained for students from poor families. Later the library was opened, which for more than a century served as the only public library in Moscow.
In the years 1786-1793 the new building of the university was founded, which later suffered damages.
After the triumph of the Great October Socialist Revolution, the university was considered an institute and underwent some changes in its structure. Later it takes the name of its founder – Milhaíl Vasílievich Lomonosov.
In the years 1950-1970 in the Vorobievy Mountains they built an entire university complex where the faculties of natural and technical sciences were transferred.
Gradually international relations developed, Moscow State University became a great scientific center, where undergraduate and undergraduate courses were taught to students. In June of 1992 by order of the President of the Russian Federation, the university was recognized eat the Autonomous institution of higher education.
This university enjoys great prestige with an annual income of a great mass of students and whose professors are recognized with various awards.
Leading figures graduated from this university such as: Decembrists A. and N. Muraviev, S. Trubetskoy, P. Kakhovsky, writers D. Phonvizin, V. Jukovsky, A. Griboedov, M. Lermontov, V. Belinsky, A. Gertsen, A. Chekhov, theater masters V. Nemirovitch-Danchenko and E. Vakhtangov.
The MGU has 29 faculties, 15 scientific research institutes, 4 museums, 350 chairs, Scientific Park, Botanical Garden, Library, Editorial, Typography, Cultural Center, School of Internal Students.
The building that occupies the University was designed by Lev Vladimirovich Rúdnev. It is the largest of seven great neoclassical towers ordered to be built by Stalin, being the tallest building in Europe. The main tower measures 240 m and has 36 floors.
The star at the top of the tower is large enough to house a small room and an observation deck weighing 12 tons. The building’s facades are adorned with giant clocks, barometers and thermometers as well as Soviet statues and symbols. In front of the tower are sculptures of two male and female students confidently observing the future.
Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas
Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas. The Gubkin University named after geologist Ivan Gubkin, is a powerful Russian research center and a source of labor for the Russian industry oil and gas.
According to the proportion of income from the research budget, the University is in the first place among the universities of Russian industry. Its main strategic objective is to train professionals who satisfy both national and international demands. This university has a very rich and deep history beginning its work in 1930 receiving foreign students since 1947 with a record of more than 5000 graduates who are employed around the world.
Relationship with oil companies
This academic entity has a very close relationship with Russian oil and energy companies known around the world, such as: Gazprom JSC, Gazprom Neft, JSC NC Rosneft, JSC Lukoil, RITEC, JSC Transneft among others, it also has cooperation agreements with companies internationals such as BP or Schlumberger and Halliburton.
In 2016, the first 18 Cuban Masters in Oil and Gas graduated from a joint project between Russia and Cuba executed by the Russian Rosneft Company, the Cuba-Petroleum Union and the Russian State University.