According to topschoolsintheusa.com, Madisonville is a small city located in East Texas about 100 miles southeast of Dallas. It has a population of around 5,000 people, and is the county seat of Madison County. The geography of Madisonville is largely flat with some rolling hills and a few rivers running through it. The climate is hot and humid in the summer months, and mild to cool in the winter months.
The history of Madisonville dates back to 1845 when settlers from Kentucky staked their claims there. During the Civil War, Madisonville was an important stop on the stagecoach line that connected Houston and Austin. Afterward, it became an important center for trade, with cotton being the primary export during this period. In more recent years, Madisonville has become known as a destination for antiquing enthusiasts due to its many antique stores located downtown.
Politics in Madisonville are largely conservative, with most citizens favoring traditional values over progressive ones. The economy is primarily based on small businesses such as retail shops and restaurants that cater to tourists who come to explore the area’s rich history or take advantage of its picturesque scenery. Education in Madisonville is provided by an independent school district which includes three elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and a technical college campus that offers various degree programs in business administration and healthcare fields.
Some popular landmarks around Madisonville include The Old Bank Building which was built in 1878 and now serves as a museum; The Old Jail Museum which was built in 1884; The Old Post Office Museum which was built in 1896; The Old Train Depot Museum which was built in 1902; The Santa Fe Nature Trail; and various historic homes dating back to the 19th century.
Population: 4,159. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,250 (+2.2% change)
Males: 1,955 (47.0%), Females: 2,204 (53.0%)
Zip code: 77864
Median resident age: 33.3 years
Median household income: $25,440
Median house value: $49,700
Races in Madisonville:
- White Non-Hispanic (47.4%)
- Black (29.2%)
- Hispanic (22.2%)
- Other race (10.6%)
- Two or more races (2.7%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (8.0%), United States (7.7%), English (5.2%), German (5.0%), Subsaharan African (2.2%), French (1.0%).
Elevation: 272 feet
Land area: 4.1 square miles
Neah Madisonville, Texas is a small town located in the north-central part of the state. The population is around 1,719 people according to the 2019 census. The median age of residents is 34.6 years old and most of the population is Caucasian. The median household income is $43,869 and the poverty rate is 17.5%.
The cost of living in Neah Madisonville, Texas is relatively low compared to other parts of the United States. The average home price in Neah Madisonville is $138,100 which is lower than the national average of $184,700. Rent prices are also lower than most places with an average cost of $800 per month for a two bedroom apartment or house. Groceries are also cheaper than many other places with an average cost of $3 per pound for ground beef and $3 per dozen eggs. Utilities such as electricity and water are also cheaper than most places at an average cost of around $100 a month for both services combined. Overall, living in Neah Madisonville can be very affordable for those looking to live in a small town atmosphere without breaking their budget.
For population 25 years and over in Madisonville
- High school or higher: 63.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Madisonville city
- Never married: 24.7%
- Now married: 47.6%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 12.6%
- Divorced: 11.6%
10.1% Foreign born (9.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +504 (+13.8%).
Hospital/medical center in Madisonville:
- MADISON ST JOSEPH HEALTH CENTER (100 WEST CROSS STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Madisonville:
- HUNTSVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX)
- PHYSICIANS CENTRE,THE (about 36 miles; BRYAN, TX)
- ST JOSEPH REGIONAL HEALTH CENTER (about 36 miles; BRYAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Madisonville:
- EASTERWOOD FIELD (about 40 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Abbreviation: CLL)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 79 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- WACO REGIONAL (about 101 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: ACT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Madisonville:
- MADISONVILLE MUNI (about 5 miles; MADISONVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: 51R)
- HUNTSVILLE MUNI (about 28 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: UTS)
- COULTER FIELD (about 33 miles; BRYAN, TX; Abbreviation: CFD)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Madisonville:
- SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 30 miles; HUNTSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 10,429)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; COLLEGE STATION, TX; Full-time enrollment: 41,117)
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)
- BLINN COLLEGE (about 63 miles; BRENHAM, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,448)
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 79 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 84 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 84 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
Public high school in Madisonville:
- MADISONVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 582; Location: 718 BACON ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Madisonville:
- MADISONVILLE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 662; Location: 718 BACON ST; Grades: 03 – 06)
- MADISONVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 611; Location: 718 BACON ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- MADISONVILLE JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 322; Location: 718 BACON ST; Grades: 06 – 09)
Library in Madisonville:
- MADISON COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $82,640; Location: 605 S MAY ST; 29,513 books; 396 audio materials; 366 video materials; 45 serial subscriptions)