Longboat Key, Florida
According to allpubliclibraries.com, Longboat Key is a city located in Manatee County, Florida. It is situated on a barrier island along the Gulf of Mexico and is part of the Tampa Bay Area. The geography of Longboat Key is mostly flat, with an elevation ranging from just a few feet above sea level to about 10 feet. The climate in Longboat Key is subtropical, with hot, humid summers and mild winters.
Longboat Key was first settled by Native Americans who inhabited the island as early as 5,000 years ago. In 1836, the area was officially established as Sarasota County. In 1955, Longboat Key officially became its own town within Sarasota County and was incorporated in 1969.
The politics of Longboat Key are governed by a mayor-council system with five council members representing different areas of the city. The economy on Longboat Key centers around tourism, real estate development, and financial services.
The schools in Longboat Key include four elementary schools, one middle school and one high school – all part of the Manatee County School District. There are also several private schools in the area for those who prefer a more specialized education experience.
There are many landmarks to explore on Longboat Key including Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium which offers educational programs for visitors; Bishop Planetarium which has nightly star shows; Coquina Beach which offers swimming and sunbathing; Jungle Gardens which features exotic plants from around the world; and St Armand’s Circle which is home to several restaurants and shops. Additionally, there are numerous parks throughout Longboat Key where visitors can enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing or kayaking or simply take in the stunning views of nature’s beauty along this barrier island paradise!
Population: 7,603. Estimated population in July 2020: 7,583 (-0.3% change)
Males: 3,532 (46.5%), Females: 4,071 (53.5%)
Zip code: 34228
Median resident age: 67.9 years
Median household income: $90,251
Median house value: $413,100
Races in Longboat Key:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (17.1%), English (14.7%), Irish (13.0%), Russian (10.2%), Italian (6.5%), Polish (6.3%).
Elevation: 9 feet
Land area: 4.9 square miles
Longboat Key is a coastal town in Florida located along the Gulf of Mexico. It is situated between the cities of Sarasota and Bradenton and has a population of approximately 7,000 people. The town is divided into two sections, Longboat Key North and Longboat Key South. It has a unique mix of residential neighborhoods, businesses, resorts, and other attractions that make it an attractive place to live or visit.
The population of Longboat Key is predominantly white (93%), with the remaining 7% made up of Hispanic (3%), African American (2%) and Asian (2%). The median household income for residents is $94,965 with a median age of 61 years old. The town has seen an increase in retirees since 2000 due to its beautiful beaches and relaxed lifestyle.
The majority of the population are employed in professional occupations such as management, business, finance, law or healthcare. Tourism also plays a major role in the local economy with visitors coming from all over the world to enjoy the sun-filled beaches and attractions such as St Armand’s Circle which features boutique shopping and dining experiences. Additionally, there are several golf courses located on Longboat Key which attract golfers from around the region.
For population 25 years and over in Longboat Key
- High school or higher: 94.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 53.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 24.7%
- Unemployed: 0.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Longboat Key town
- Never married: 4.4%
- Now married: 77.4%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 13.1%
- Divorced: 4.8%
11.2% Foreign born (7.9% Europe, 2.4% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,627 (+27.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Longboat Key:
- BLAKE MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; BRADENTON, FL)
- MANATEE GLEN HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; BRADENTON, FL)
- MANATEE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; BRADENTON, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Longboat Key:
- SARASOTA/BRADENTON INTL (about 7 miles; SARASOTA/BRADENTON, FL; Abbreviation: SRQ)
- MAC DILL AFB (about 32 miles; TAMPA, FL; Abbreviation: MCF)
- ST PETERSBURG-CLEARWATER INTL (about 35 miles; ST PETERSBURG-CLEARWATER, FL; Abbreviation: PIE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Longboat Key:
- AIRPORT MANATEE (about 19 miles; PALMETTO, FL; Abbreviation: 48X)
- ALBERT WHITTED (about 25 miles; ST PETERSBURG, FL; Abbreviation: SPG)
- VENICE MUNI (about 27 miles; VENICE, FL; Abbreviation: VNC)
Amtrak stations near Longboat Key:
- 14 miles: BRADENTON (I-75 & RTE. 64) – Bus Station. Services: public payphones, call for taxi service.
- 17 miles: SARASOTA (I-75 AT CLARK RD.) – Bus Station. Services: public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Longboat Key:
- MANATEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BRADENTON, FL; Full-time enrollment: 4,539)
- HILLSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 40 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,630)
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA (about 40 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,963)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA (about 49 miles; TAMPA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 26,221)
- PASCO-HERNANDO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; NEW PORT RICHEY, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,868)
- TRAVIS TECHNICAL CENTER (about 65 miles; LAKELAND, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,057)
- SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY (about 70 miles; ST LEO, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,597)