Federal University of Santa Catarina
Federal University of Santa Catarina. It is a public university located in the city of Florianópolis, in the state of Santa Catarina, being the only federal university in that state.
On February 11, 1932, the Faculty of Law was created, the first institution of higher education in the state of Santa Catarina. Initially organized as a free institute, it was made official by state decree in 1935. From the first faculty was born the idea of creating a university that would bring together all the existing faculties in Florianopolis, the state capital. On December 18, 1960, the University of Santa Catarina was created by Prof. Joao David Ferreira Lima, in accordance with Law 3,849, which brought together the faculties of law, medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, philosophy, economic sciences, social service and the school of industrial engineering, being officially installed theMarch 12, 1962. Law 2,664 of January 20, 1961 sanctioned the construction of a university campus on land belonging to the former Assis Brasil farm, located in the Trinidad neighborhood. With the university reform promulgated in decree 64,824 of July 15, 1969, the faculties were eliminated, and the university acquired its current educational and administrative structure.
In 1979, the UFSC obtains, through an agreement with the Ministry of the Navy, the concession of Anhatomirim Island, which has an area of 45,000 square meters, where the Santa Cruz Fortress is located. In 1990, a new agreement with the Ministry of the Navy grants the UFSC the Santo Antônio Fortress on the Isla de Ratones Grande. On both islands, the university has developed fishing projects in the area of aquaculture and aquatic mammals. in 1992, once again, the university assumes the Fortress of São José da Ponta Grossa to the north of the Island of Santa Catarina. The three fortresses were restored by the university with resources from the Banco do Brasil Foundation, where educational tourism works are carried out with the participation of university students.