Eagle Nest, New Mexico
According to best-medical-schools, Eagle Nest is a small city located in the northeastern corner of New Mexico. It has a population of around 1,000 people and is known for its stunning natural beauty. The city sits at an elevation of 8,000 feet and is surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. It has a cool, dry climate with four distinct seasons. In the summer months, temperatures can reach up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit while in the winter months they can dip to -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
The area has a long and rich history that dates back to the 1800s when it was part of the Santa Fe Trail. During this time, Eagle Nest was an important trading post for both Native Americans and settlers traveling West. Later on, it became an important stop for miners looking to strike it rich during the gold rush in nearby Cimarron County.
Politically, Eagle Nest is part of Colfax County and governed by a mayor-council system with three elected members on the council representing each ward in town. The economy is mainly driven by tourism due to its proximity to Angel Fire Resort and Wheeler Peak Wilderness Area but there are also some small businesses located in town such as restaurants, shops, and galleries that provide jobs for locals.
The schools in Eagle Nest are part of Colfax County Schools District #1 which includes elementary, middle school, and high school levels as well as some alternative education programs such as home schooling or GED classes.
There are many landmarks throughout Eagle Nest that makes it one of New Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations including Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway which offers stunning views along its 85 mile drive through Angel Fire Resort to Taos Ski Valley; Wheeler Peak Wilderness area which offers hiking trails; Red River Valley Museum which houses artifacts from early settlers; Monte Verde Lake which provides fishing opportunities; Ute Park National Monument; Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park; plus many more natural wonders such as hot springs and waterfalls that make this area so special!
Population: 306. Estimated population in July 2020: 292 (-4.6% change)
Males: 154 (50.3%), Females: 152 (49.7%)
Zip code: 87718
Median resident age: 44.0 years
Median household income: $36,477
Median house value: $91,000
Races in Eagle Nest:
- White Non-Hispanic (80.4%)
- Hispanic (12.7%)
- American Indian (6.9%)
- Other race (6.2%)
- Two or more races (5.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (16.7%), German (15.4%), Irish (14.7%), French (3.9%), Scotch-Irish (3.6%), United States (3.6%).
Land area: 4.3 square miles
Eagle Nest, New Mexico is a small rural village located in the northeastern corner of the state. The village has a population of approximately 800 people and is part of Colfax County. It is one of the oldest settlements in the area and was established in 1883 when a group of settlers from Texas and Colorado came to homestead the area. The town’s economy is largely based on tourism and ranching, with some tourism-related businesses such as restaurants, lodging, and shops catering to visitors from all over the country who come to experience the beauty of Eagle Nest’s mountainous landscapes.
The population of Eagle Nest is diverse, with a mix of Native American, Hispanic, African American, and other ethnicities making up the majority of its population. The median age for residents is 44 years old and it has an average household size of 2.6 persons per household. Most households are headed by married couples with children present in nearly 70% of households. In terms of education levels, nearly 60% have some college education or higher while only 8% have less than a high school diploma or equivalent. The median income for households in Eagle Nest is around $51,000 per year which is slightly lower than the statewide median income for New Mexico at $53,000 per year. Unemployment rates are also slightly higher than average at 6%.
For population 25 years and over in Eagle Nest
- High school or higher: 85.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 8.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eagle Nest village
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 15.1%
1.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +119 (+63.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Eagle Nest:
- HOLY CROSS HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; TAOS, NM)
- MINERS’ COLFAX MEDICAL CENTER (about 63 miles; RATON, NM)
- NORTHEASTERN REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 67 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Eagle Nest:
- SAN LUIS VALLEY REGIONAL/BERGMAN FIELD (about 73 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Abbreviation: ALS)
- PUEBLO MEMORIAL (about 131 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Abbreviation: PUB)
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 140 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Eagle Nest:
- ANGEL FIRE (about 10 miles; ANGEL FIRE, NM; Abbreviation: AXX)
- QUESTA MUNI NR 2 (about 29 miles; QUESTA, NM; Abbreviation: N24)
- TAOS RGNL (about 29 miles; TAOS, NM; Abbreviation: SKX)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eagle Nest:
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 77 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- PUEBLO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 122 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN COLORADO (about 129 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,275)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 132 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 139 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 143 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
Public primary/middle schools in Eagle Nest:
- EAGLE NEST ELEM. (Students: 115; Location: 225 LAKE STREET; Grades: PK – 04)
- EAGLE NEST MIDDLE (Students: 99; Location: 225 LAKE STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)