Customs and Traditions of South Korea

Customs and Traditions of South Korea

Language and religious features

The official language in South Korea is Korean. In general, Koreans are a large ethnic group speaking the same language. Although there are quite a few dialects of Korean, almost all Koreans use Literary Korean, based on the Seoul dialect, in their conversations.

The population does not speak English well, but all signs and signs are usually translated into this language.

Religion in the state is completely free. In general, South Korea is a rather religious country – believers here make up more than half of all residents. The main religions of the country are Buddhism – 51.2% of believers, Protestantism – 34.4%, Catholicism – 10.6%, Shamanism and Confucianism – 1.8%.


According to Countryaah, about 46 million people live in South Korea. Seoul has a population of about 11 million people. The population density in the country is generally one of the highest in the world.

The share of Koreans in the country’s population is 99%. The remaining 1% is almost all Chinese.

Regardless of religion, almost the entire Korean society lives according to the teachings of Confucius. Confucianism in general is rather not a religion, but a philosophy, life teaching and instruction. According to this philosophy, each person has a place in society. The worker is dependent on the employer, and the son is dependent on the father. This structure is not subject to any changes. The dominant place in the society of South Korea belongs to men.

Confucianism is based on respect for the family, parents, ancestors, friends. As well as people in power. In addition, Confucianism emphasizes the vital importance of humanity, change, education, peace and justice. Many South Koreans think that their nation will reach unprecedented heights in the near future.

A distinctive feature of all Koreans is respect for any culture, as well as for foreigners.

Since age and position in society play a huge role, anyone is expected to be completely subordinate to their elders. That is why in Korea it is considered natural to ask about marital status and age almost immediately when meeting, in order to immediately understand what position he is in relation to the interlocutor.

Any man, regardless of age, will not be considered an adult if he is not yet married.

Korean Sign Language has some peculiarities. It is not customary to call a person with a hand that is turned palm up. It is also not customary to beckon with a finger, since dogs are called with such a gesture. To call a person, you should wave your hand with your palm facing down. Check agooddir for recent history of South Korea.

When meeting, it is customary to shake hands, as in European countries. Women don’t shake hands.

Public holidays in Korea:

  • January 1.2 – New Year;
  • January or February – Lunar New Year;
  • March 1 – Independence Day;
  • April 5 – Tree Day;
  • May 5 – Children’s Day;
  • May is Buddha’s birthday;
  • June 6 – Memorial Day;
  • July 17 – Constitution Day;
  • August 15 – Liberation Day;
  • Late September – early October – Thanksgiving Day;
  • October 3 – Founding of Korea;
  • December 25 – Christmas.

Customs and Traditions of South Korea

Comments are closed.