Clarksville (Tennessee}. One of the fastest growing cities in the United States, it has positioned itself as a community that is an ideal place to work and live. Clarksville is located within Montgomery County, Tennessee. The population was 103,455 in census 2000.
The city has several nicknames: “The Queen’s Town”, “Tennessee Top Point”, “Gateway to the New South”, and “Clarksvegas”.
The area around Clarksville was first surveyed by Thomas Hutchins in 1768. He identified the Red Hill in the painting, a crag rock at the confluence of the Cumberland and Red Rivers, as a navigational landmark.
In the years between 1771 and 1775, John Montgomery, the namesake of the county, along with Kasper Mansker visited the area while on a hunting expedition. That same year, the land between Ohio and Cumberland was purchased by Richard Henderson of the Cherokee Indians for horses, guns, and spirit. The other local tribes, such as Cala, Shawnee, and Chickasaw claimed parts of the territory, creating conflict between the Indians and the settlers.
In 1779, James Robertson brought a group of settlers from eastern Upper Tennessee via Daniel Boone’s “Wilderness Road.” Robertson would later build iron plantation at Cumberland Furnace. A year later, in 1780, John Donelson led a group of Flat boats on top of the Cumberland River limited to the French trading establishment, the French Lick (or Great Lick), which would later be Nashville.
When the boats reached the Red Hill from the painting, Moses Renfroe, Joseph Renfroe, and Solomon Turpin, along with their families, branched off onto the Red River. They traveled to the mouth of Parson Creek, near Port Royal, and came ashore to settle down. However, an attack by Indians in the summer drove them back.
According to ehotelat, Clarksville was designated as a city to be settled in part by soldiers of the disbanded Continental Army who served under General George Washington during the American Revolutionary War.
At the end of the war, the federal government lacked sufficient funds to compensate the soldiers, so the North Carolina legislature, in 1790, designated lands to the west of the state line as federal lands that could be used. in the land grant program. Since the Clarksville area had been surveyed and sectioned in diagrams, it was identified as territory deemed ready for settlement. The land was available to be settled by families of eligible soldiers as reimbursement for service to their country.
As time progressed, Clarksville grew at a rapid rate. By 1806, the city realized the need for an educational institution, and the Rural Academy was established that year. Later, the Rural Academy would be replaced by Mount Welcome Academy.
By 1819, the newly-established city had 22 stores, including a bakery and a silversmith. In 1829, the first bridge connecting Clarksville to New Providence was built over the Red River. Nine years later, the Clarksville-Hopkinsville Turnpike was built. In 1855, Clarksville was incorporated as a city. Railroad service advanced to the city October 1, 1859 in the form of the Memphis, Clarksville, and Louisville Railroad. The line would later connect with other railroads in Paris, Tennessee and Guthrie, Kentucky.
As World War I raged in Europe, many locals volunteered to go, a move that would earn Tennessee the nickname “The Volunteer State”. Also during this time, women’s suffrage was becoming an important issue, and Clarksville women saw a need to bank independence from their struggling husbands and fathers. In response, Tennessee’s First Women’s Bank was established in 1919 by Mrs. J. franco. Runyon.
The biggest change to the city came in 1942, as construction of Camp Campbell (now known as Fort Campbell) began. The new army base ten miles northwest of the city, and capable of holding 23,000 troops, gave an immediate boost to Clarksville’s population and economy.
In recent decades, Clarksville’s size has doubled. Communities such as New Providence and Saint Bethlehem were annexed into the city, adding to the total population. The creation of Interstate 24 north of Saint Bethlehem made the area prime for development, and today much of the growth on US Highway 79 is commercial retail. In 1954, the Clarksville Memorial Hospital was founded along Madison Street. Downtown, the Lillian was renamed the Roxy Theater, and today it still hosts plays and performances weekly.
Clarksville is located at 36 ° 33 ″ N of 34 ′, 87 ° 21 ″ W of ′ 30 ′ (36.559383, -87.358261). The elevation is 382 feet above sea level. This altitude can be found in a section of Riverside Drive, which runs along the eastern bank of the Cumberland, but most of the city is higher.
Clarksville is located on the northwest edge of the Mountain Rim, which surrounds the Nashville Basin, and is 45 miles northwest of Nashville.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 95.5 square miles (247.4 km²), of which 94.9 square miles (245.7 km²) of it is land and 0.7 square miles (1.8 km²) of it (0.71%) is water.
As of the 2000 census, there were 103,455 people, 36,969 households, and 26,950 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,090.6 people per square mile (421.1 / km²). There were 40,041 housing units at an average density of 422.1 / sq mi (163.0 / km²).
The racial makeup of the city was:
23.23% African American
0.54% Native American
0.25% Pacific Islander
2.61% from other races
3.30% from two or more races.
Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.03% of the population. The census recorded 5,187 foreign-born residents in Clarksville.
- Universities and Universities
- Austin Peay State University
- Bethel University
- Miller-Motte Technical University
- Draughons Freshman and Sophomore College
- Austins Beauty College
- North central institute
- North Tennessee Bible Institute
- Queen’s City University 
There are a total of 30 schools in the Clarksville-Montgomery County school system, made up of six public high schools, six public middle schools, 18 public elementary schools, and one magnet school for K-5. The system serves roughly 26,000 students.
Clarksville is served commercially by Nashville International Airport but also has a small airport, Outlaw Field, located 10 miles (16 km) north of downtown. Outlaw Field accommodates nearly 40,000 private and corporate flights a year, and is also home to a pilot training school and some small airlines. It has two asphalt runways, one 6,000 feet (1800 m) by 100 feet (30 m) and the other 4,004 feet (1200 m) by 100 feet (30 m).