The importance of certifying your proficiency in English
Currently speaking of a second language and especially English, went from being considered a luxury to a necessity, and it is essential when looking for a good job and even for postgraduate studies abroad, however, something very It is important to have a document that supports our command of that language, so let’s see why it is necessary to certify your command of English.
Certifying your command of English gives you the following advantages
It gives you the opportunity to grow and achieve your goals as a professional.
Certifying your command of English opens the doors to get jobs faster, in addition to raising the level of your work resume and demonstrating true knowledge, it will even give you the opportunity to become independent as a professional, and expand your services internationally.
There are different exams that allow you to know your level of English, your choice will depend on the purpose you have in mind for taking the exam.
These are some; TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, each one is designed to measure different levels of English, you will choose the one that best suits your purposes, whether academic or professional, although it is advisable to have a certification in all. Check bridgat for more about TOEFL exams.
Certifying your proficiency of English is a necessary investment for your career, it is also an investment that will give you immediate results, since you will be surprised at the spontaneity with which opportunities will open up for you.
Just as you need a degree to verify your degree, in the same way you need to certify your command of English to be able to verify your knowledge of the language. It is worth mentioning that for many companies this is essential, and even if you have a good level of English, it will not be of much help without a certification that supports you.
What exams do you need to do a postgraduate degree abroad?
Many students at the end of a university degree decide to go to study abroad for a postgraduate degree, if this is your case, you must know what academic requirements and legal procedures are requested by the main host countries for postgraduate degrees, pass language tests and specific knowledge to study at their universities are of the most important requirements.
One of the most complex processes when applying for a postgraduate degree are the admission procedures, certificates, degrees, recommendations and countless paperwork are part of this crucial stage. But in recent years a key factor has been added: the language proficiency exams.
Admission exams for a postgraduate degree in an English-speaking country
TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language)
This test is done to find out what your level of the English language is.
This exam is made up of 4 sections:
- Auditive comprehension
According to abbreviationfinder, the maximum score for this test is 120 points. Universities in the United States generally require over a hundred points for graduate studies. Most European study houses are more flexible and accept from 90 points. It is estimated that an unprepared student with an advanced intermediate level of English obtains between 80 and 90 points.
GRE (Graduate Record Examinations)
This assessment is subdivided into the GRE General Test, which measures verbal, quantitative and analytical knowledge, and the GRE Subject Tests, which focuses on specific topics and specific subjects, is divided into 3 sections:
- Writing: Students must compose two essays, one on a specific topic given by the examiner and another on their own opinion on a given topic.
- Mathematical questions: There are 28 questions
- Verbal section: Where they have to express their ideas aloud
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
As well as the TOEFL, this test is divided into four parts with the difference where people can choose if said evaluation is to study abroad or is for work and immigration reasons.
The countries that request this test for a postgraduate course are;
- New Zealand
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
According to topschoolsintheusa, this is the test that business schools in the United States require to be admitted to a graduate degree, since with it students demonstrate their ability to write, verbal and quantitative analysis.
- JCU Study Abroad
- SUT Study Abroad
- UON Study Abroad
- UTS Study Abroad
- UNSW Study Abroad
- BU Study Abroad
- KPU Study Abroad
- SMU Study Abroad
- TRU Study Abroad
- UNB Study Abroad
- VIU Study Abroad
- FDU Study Abroad
- DBS Study Abroad
- GCD Study Abroad
- RSU Study Abroad
- UR Study Abroad
- AUT Study Abroad
- University of Heidelberg
Germans do well on TOEFL and IELTS
It is therefore difficult to make a general recommendation. Everyone has to decide for themselves which of the two tests suits them better. And the question of which test is more difficult – TOEFL or IELTS – must remain unanswered, because the answer naturally depends on the level of your own English skills. From a purely statistical point of view, the Germans do very well on average in both tests , in Europe only the Dutch are better. This also coincides with my personal experience from student counseling.
Preparation for TOEFL and IELTS
The first step in good preparation is to familiarize yourself with both tests and then decide which one you are comfortable with. There are sample tasks or complete practice tests on the websites of the test organizers.
And here are some exercise books that I recommend to prepare for the exams. The first choice should always be the official preparation materials of the respective test organizer, because only there are examples from the real tests included. A CD or DVD is always included with which you can run through the test on the computer – just like later in the test center.
- Official Guide to the TOEFL Test (preparation book and CD with exercises, explanations and 3 complete original mock tests)
- Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume 1 (Book and DVD with 5 original tests, but without explanations!)
- Official TOEFL IBT Tests Volume 2 (book and DVD with 5 additional tests, without explanations)
- Official IELTS Practice Materials 1 with Audio CD
- Official IELTS Practice Materials 2 with DVD
If you then feel that you need professional personal guidance during the preparation or generally prefer to learn in groups, you will find a language school or adult education center in every larger German city that offers preparation courses for TOEFL or IELTS.
FAFSA Codes by State
Customs and Traditions by Country
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
- A Short Guide to Los Angeles, California (12/3/2022) - Car Rental In Los Angeles Rent a car in Los Angeles in the US and visit Hollywood so you can walk the Walk of Fame, relax on one of the sandy beaches or visit a fun theme park. Los Angeles… ...
- Arches National Park, Utah (12/2/2022) - According to allpubliclibraries, Arches National Park is located in the southeastern state of Utah in Western America. In this park you feel like an extra in a cowboy movie. The park is known for, the name says it all, red… ...
- Western America (12/1/2022) - Bustling and lively cities, desolate desert landscapes, red, white and black rocks, deep canyons and beautiful beaches. That's what a vacation in Western America has to offer. From San Francisco to San Diego and from Monument Valley to the Grand… ...
- Turin, Italy (11/29/2022) - According to itypeusa, Turin is the capital of Piedmont and the fourth largest city in Italy. Despite the proximity of the Alps, people come here not for the sake of their snow-capped peaks. The city attracts travelers with its rich… ...
- How to Get to Toledo, Spain (11/27/2022) - There is no airport in the vicinity of Toledo - all airfields, it will be most convenient to fly to Madrid and move on from there. True, liners do not carry tourists from the modern capital of Spain to the… ...
- Entertainment and Attractions in Shanghai, China (11/26/2022) - Shanghai is called the most European city of the Middle Kingdom, but the borders of conditional Europe and Asia are not only not erased here, on the contrary, they are clearly delineated. Shanghai has its own "Venice" - the ancient… ...
- Sights of Tuscany, Italy (11/19/2022) - According to 800Zipcodes, the Italian region of Tuscany is considered one of the most beautiful and romantic areas in Europe. In fact, the landscape is so enchanted that there is even a movie inspired by the special sunlight that falls… ...
- Sights of Cape Town, South Africa (11/12/2022) - According to 800zipcodes, Cape Town is the second largest city in South Africa after Johannesburg. Cape Town, located in the southwest of the country, used to be an important point on the trade routes between Asia and the Netherlands. The… ...
- US 33 and 340 in Virginia (11/3/2022) - US 33 in Virginia US 33 Get started Richmond End Rawley Springs Length 139 mi Length 224 km Route Richmondcuckoo Louisa Gordonsville Ruckersville Elkton Harrisonburg West Virginia According to Simplyyellowpages, US 33 is a US Highway in the US state… ...
- US 60 in Arizona (11/2/2022) - US 60 Get started Quartz site End Springerville Length 369 mi Length 594 km Route Wickenburg surprise Sun City Peoria Glendale Phoenix Superstition Freeway 171 → Phoenix / Tucson 172 Priest Drive 173 Mill Avenue 174 Rural Road 175… ...